Written by Marybeth Welty and Milena Morales of Sustainable Lifestyle Solutions, as part of our Organizers Blogging Collab.
Communication is the most important tool in any relationship. Through communication we can inform, solve, connect, and interact with others. It is a crucial element for good interpersonal relationships and for maintaining a good environment at home and in other spaces of our lives.
When we think of communication we often immediately think of technology, since it is a very powerful tool nowadays. Although technology allows us to communicate faster and over long distances, it also can keep us apart from those who are close by. It is true that when we connect to our mobile devices or televisions, we are living in our own bubble even if we are in the same family space (living room, kitchen, dining room, etc.). That is why it is so important to create spaces at home that allow us to maintain or strengthen family ties and communication.
Have You Heard About The Family Command Center?
The Family Command Center is a creative solution for assertive communication with one’s family. It is a space in the home in which we can expose our ideas, common events, or projects. It is a space specially designed for assertive communication to give order to the information related to every family member.
How To Create Your Family Command Center
1. Choose a space that all the members of your family can see every day, or in which you spend the most time. It can be the studio, the kitchen, or even a hallway - just make sure it is the most-visited by all.
2. Make a list of the things that you consider most important to place in this area, such as:
Calendar of important dates for everyone (holidays, birthdays, activities, etc.)
The food menu of the week.
3. Place photos, favorite images of everyone, or family memories.
4. Using plants is always a great idea, as it adds a beautiful and natural touch to this space.
5. Lockers or pockets for the mail, books, or magazines.
6. A clock is also a good idea to help measure time and organize ourselves.
7. Markers, whiteboard, pens, paper, and post-it notes.
8. Activity schedules for each member of the family.
9. Grocery lists and upcoming market dates.
10. A schedule with the cleaning and organizing routine.
Benefits Of Creating A Family Command Center
1. All the information that the family needs to know is in one place.
2. Allows for organization and planning.
3. Generates effective communication in a space where everyone interacts.
4. Unites the family when building the space because everyone can contribute with ideas to design a harmonious atmosphere at home.
Every Family Command Center will be different depending on the family’s needs, but the benefits are all similar, as it makes every household’s activities organized and communication is clear.
Now that you know about it, do you want to create your family command center? We can help you!