top of page

Understanding the Average Consumer: Unveiling Vital Statistics

In today's fast-paced world, understanding the behaviors, preferences, and habits of the average consumer is essential for businesses and individuals alike. From shopping habits to financial decisions, demographics play a significant role in shaping consumer behavior. In this blog, we delve into eye-opening statistics about the average consumer, shedding light on their spending patterns, technology adoption, and evolving mindset.

Spending Habits:

According to a study conducted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average consumer spends approximately 76.8% of their income on housing, transportation, food, and personal insurance. The remaining 23.2% goes toward healthcare, entertainment, apparel, education, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Research shows that millennials tend to spend more on experiences and personal development, with 60% of this demographic prioritizing experiences over material possessions. In contrast, baby boomers are more inclined to invest in stability, such as homeownership and retirement savings.

Online Shopping:

During the COVID-19 pandemic, e-commerce witnessed tremendous growth, with online shopping becoming the norm for many consumers. According to Statista, around 2.14 billion people worldwide are expected to buy goods and services online in 2021.

Furthermore, a survey conducted by Baymard Institute revealed that the average online shopping cart abandonment rate hovers around 69.57%. This statistic highlights the importance of optimizing e-commerce platforms to enhance the consumer experience and reduce cart abandonment.

Technology Adoption:

As technology continues to advance, so does the average consumer's reliance on digital devices. GlobalWebIndex reports that the average consumer spends approximately 2 hours and 22 minutes per day on social media platforms.

Additionally, a study conducted by Pew Research Center reveals that 96% of Americans own a cellular phone, with 81% owning smartphones. This data emphasizes the need for businesses to have a strong online presence and cater to mobile users.

Sustainability and Social Responsibility:

Nielsen's Global Corporate Sustainability Report found that 73% of global consumers say they would definitely or probably change their consumption habits to reduce their impact on the environment. The average consumer is increasingly mindful of eco-friendly and socially responsible products and services.

According to Forbes, 88% of consumers want brands to help them make a difference in the world. Consumers actively seek businesses that align with their values, innovation for sustainability, and commitments towards positive social impact.

Understanding the statistics surrounding the average consumer is vital for businesses in effectively catering to their needs and expectations. From spending habits and online shopping trends to technology adoption and sustainability preferences, these statistics provide valuable insights. By embracing the data and aligning strategies accordingly, businesses can better serve their target audience, build brand loyalty, and thrive in an ever-evolving marketplace.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page