Create Your Own Outdoor Escape Zone On Your Balcony!
Written by Marybeth Welty and Milena Morales of Sustainable Lifestyle Solutions, as part of our Organizers Blogging Collab.
During the summer, enjoying nature and outdoors is something that we love to do! Spending time outdoors, especially in green spaces, improves our health and happiness, and that well-being is something that we can also bring home through our terrace or balcony.
There are so many homes with balconies or patios. Regardless of their size, the most
important thing is to take advantage of these areas, which can be designed to bring a bit of the outdoors and natural life into your home. They are the perfect space to escape from everyday life, to sit and have a coffee, to relax at the end of the day, or to enjoy the view and get some fresh air from your own place - even more so in these times when we are still under some restrictions due to Covid-19.
We want to help you with some ideas to put your creativity into styling every single inch of your balcony.
What Should You Keep In Mind When Decorating A Balcony Or Patio?
1. First of all, it's necessary to know exactly how big your space is. If you are wondering how to design your balcony if it is small and/or narrow, don't worry! There are wonderful solutions for small areas. Use only the furniture and decorations that are really necessary - that way it does not look too crowded.
If you have a larger balcony or a patio, you’ll have more freedom in terms of the use of objects, and you can create different zones for reading, resting, eating, sunbathing, etc.
2. You can choose a style of decoration or play with different types of furniture and textures, based on the kind of environment that you want on your balcony.
Bohemian: Free and relaxed.
Classic: Symmetry, luxury, comfort, quality, and elegance. Romantic.
Minimalist: Reduced to the essential; does not include any excess elements.
Rustic: Casual, comfortable, and cozy.
Country: Natural and full of color. Cozy and cool.
Chilled Out: Harmonious and relaxed.
3. Determine if you want visibility or privacy. This decision will determine whether you need to cover the space with a roof or have some walls, glass partitions, or a vertical garden.
4. The choice of plants for the balcony or patio must be made carefully and according to the amount of natural light and the maintenance required. Because these two factors (the number of hours of sunshine per day, and the time we can dedicate to watering and other needs) will determine which plants are ideal for our balcony.
5. Flowers are undoubtedly one of those items that give a special touch to each space, and are a beautiful and natural way to decorate a small or large space, filling it with color, life, and even scent.
6. The colors are very important too! If the space is not large, you may want to stick with light tones and plain or very subtle patterns. If you’ve got a large area, you can play with colorful or stronger tones and a lot of patterns.
TIP: Remember that colors have a significant influence on our mood and well-being. How you want to feel while in the space should have an impact on your design choices.
7. Good lighting provides elegance even in the most rustic style, leading to cozy and unique experiences. How? Look for balance, since an excess of light will be annoying and will ruin the night magic. Similarly, lighting that’s too dim can be uncomfortable and even dangerous.
TIP: The key is to mix different types of lighting, such as zenith or wall lights, table lamps, lighting extension cords, or beacons in the garden.
8. Finally, when choosing outdoor furniture, there is a wide variety of designs and materials that give an attractive style to the spaces, such as wood, aluminum, wrought iron, plastic, or rattan or other natural fibers. How weather-resistant the furniture needs to be depends on whether it will be protected by a roof, or if it will get direct sun and rain.
Recycled plastic is a stylish option (made from milk cartons, shampoo bottles, etc.) and is a great alternative for a sustainable lifestyle that’s eco-friendly.
Reuse furniture or objects that you have inside the house and bring them outside if you want a change. That way you can restyle your balcony and other spaces of your house.
For small spaces, you can use folding furniture, which is the perfect balance of style and
functionality that allows you to make the most of your space.
As you can see, the beauty of a space is not measured in meters, but in our ability to make spaces comfortable and convenient. Decorating or enhancing your outdoor escape zone has never been easier, right? You just need to dedicate the time and think carefully about what you want to feel when using it.
Don't forget! The secret when transforming your outdoor space is to choose a few elements - the right ones - being careful with not using too many items, since this is a relaxing space and should be cozy.
What other ideas do you have now for your balcony or patio? We can help you to design it!